Sep 12, 2009

Ergonomic Basics Defining Your Workspace

Defining Your Workspace: Ergonomic Basics

Setting up your office space correctly definitely requires some expert input. That being said, many aspects of setting up your office space are based on common sense.

We all have specific items at work that we handle more frequently than others. In my work environment for instance, I use the mouse and keyboard more than any other object on my desk. At this point I will inject a shameless plug for my Ergo Nav. Since I use my mouse most frequently, I have it perched right at the end of my chairs' armrest. My Ergo Nav positions my mouse close enough to my body to avoid any reaching for the mouse at all. From an ergonomic standpoint, this positioning is ideal.

Visit the Ergo Nav site to see a demo of how it Reduces Wrist, Arm and Neck Pain For Computer Users

My keyboard is also within my immediate reach as are my writing instruments such as pens and pencils. All of the items that I have discussed so far are within my immediate reach area, which is also known as the "usual work space".

Most people only have a handful of objects that truly belong in their "usual work space". The actual dimensions of this space vary with the size of the worker, therefore, you have to keep the principals of good ergonomics in mind when determining the actual size of your "usual work space". As far as placement of mice, keyboards, pens, phones etc., within your "usual work space" you have to position these items in a way that avoids or limits hunching of the shoulders, flaring out of the elbows or forward flexion of the shoulders.

The area beyond the "usual work space" is considered the "occasional work space" and should contain objects that are only occasionally used. In my circumstances, the "occasional work space" contains my cpu, monitor, printer and my phone. Most of the time I have an assistant to answer my phone and I may only make a handful of calls each day. My monitor only requires that I turn it on and off once a day – the same being the case with my printer and the computer itself. My desk space is limited so the items that I have covered are the only items in my space. Staplers, files and paper are needed infrequently enough to not deserve the chance to clutter my work area.

Ergo Van Site San Diego Chiropractic Website to read more about workplace injuries and Repetitive Stress Syndrome
and how I can help you set up your workspace and work with any pain you may already have

Better Health

Steve Jones San Diego Chiropractor

Call Steve at
(619) 280 0554

No comments:

Post a Comment