Sep 12, 2009

Computers do they harm Students

Do Computers Help or Harm Our Students
Computers speed our daily tasks in ways that we could not have imagined ten years ago.  That being said, most every improvement in our lives is a double edged sword (pardon the cheesy analogy).
Computer work gives me a pain in the neck!  It probably gives you a pain in the neck too.
I graduated college in 1991 and at the time I can say that I made it through school without ever owning or even barely using a computer. 
I bought my first computer in 1995 and didn’t really start spending more than a few hours on it daily until maybe 2003.  In this relatively short period of computer use, I have developed postural stress issues despite my efforts to keep it at bay.  I even developed an ergonomic mouse platform in order to help eliminate the stresses of mouse reach and I still fall victim to postural stress.
I began practicing chiropractic in San Diego in 1993 and at that time my practice consisted of patients suffering from typical complaints.  It was unusual to get patients that complained of neck pain, back pain, headaches or sciatica that wasn’t a result of some specific injury, auto accident or work injury.
Now my chiropractic patients are different.  I still practice in San Diego and my patients still complain of neck pain, back pain, headaches and sciatica but these symptoms begin with a different type of injury. 
And it is scary!
Most of the injuries that I see today are due to sedentary tasks.  Most of these tasks involve computer use and postural stress.  The scary thing about these injuries is that I hear from my patients with kids that their kids are using computers both at home and in school.
I know how computer work has affected me with less than 5 years of moderate use.  Students of all ages are using computers for everything. 
By the time today’s’ kids are in their 30s or 40s, they will have had over 20 years of exposure to the postural stresses associated with computer use.   Considering the frequency with which I see computer related stress syndromes now, it is hard to imagine how much of these disorders will be seen in another 20 years. 
The health of tomorrows computer users will rely on ergonomically designed work stations combined with stretching, exercise and chiropractic therapy to help relieve the effects of computer related postural stress.

Visit our Ergo Nav Website to learn more or Buy Ergo Nav

Visit my San Diego Chiropractic Website to make an appointment

Better Health Steve Jones

Call Steve Jones at
(619) 280 0554

No comments:

Post a Comment